Capybara, Poltergeist, PhantomJS and the dreaded Capybara::Poltergeist::ObsoleteNode errors

Just a short post for anyone who might be struggling with Capybara::Poltergeist::ObsoleteNode errors, like I was yesterday.

Here is the scenario: I was trying to scrape a site that has a lot of javascript. I mean A Lot. In fact, when I would right click on an element and choose "Inspect Element", Developer Tools would pop up, and I could clearly see that the element I was interested in (usually a link) was clearly present. Or so I thought.

(One possible) Future of Smartphones

I was at Safeway this morning stocking up for New Years, and when I was walking out, I saw something odd: A kiosk that would pay you for your phone. It looked like you stuck your phone in a slot (like at the bank drive thru), and I guess you somehow got money for it.

I didn't stop to see how it actually worked, maybe I'll do that later. But as I was walking to my car, I started thinking about how phones could be distributed via vending machines or small kiosks, like Redbox.

GMap Macros in Drupal show "Javascript is required to view this map"

Problem: Was pasting in the code for GMap macros into the body of Drupal content, but instead of seeing a map, it just says, "Javascript is required to view this map".

Solution: After much fruitless searching, found that enabling GMap macro filtering on "Filtered HTML" does not work, but it does work for "Full HTML".

Changing the GMap popup window in Drupal

This is just a quick how-to regarding the info-window information that pops up when you use GMap & Drupal.

The problem is the info-window was displaying zip-code, city, state on the 3rd line of the info-window. I didn't want that. I wanted the canonical city, state zip-code.

After searching my modules folder, I found the template that controls the output of the GMap popup window is in the Location module, and the template is location.tpl.php.

Some Drupal Fixes

I have run into several Drupal problems recently with enough regularity, that I thought I should at least note them for my own sanity.

1) Google maps not displaying.

Installing RT on Digital Ocean

I can't help but respect someone with little Perl knowledge who can successfully install RT (Request Tracker).

I've done it a number of times, and it has NEVER gone smoothly. Not once. There are so many dependencies and my knowledge of Perl/CPAN is pretty low, and these 2 things combine to make this a perilous ("perlous"?) exercise. I am getting faster, but installing RT seems to be one of those hit-or-miss endeavors for me.

How to configure Drupal taxonomy terms and content titles in the URL

I recently was trying to configure "Clean URL's" in Drupal (7.25). I had the problem that I wanted to have a taxonomy hierarchy, which I would arbitrarily attach to content types, and I wanted the URL's to look like this:


Specifically, I had a taxonomy vocabulary called "Geographic Area" and I was trying to attach it to a "Location" content type. A sample of what I wanted would look something like this:


Breaking thru the OmniAuth - Oauth2 - Google Api - Google Calendar - Signet - Rails Conundrum

I have been struggling with trying to integrate Google calendar into a rails app for an embarrassing amount of time. I have been using the ruby gem "google-api-ruby-client" to attempt to do this.

My own ignorance aside, there is enough going on with this that I have never used, and the logging of errors was scarce enough, that this was really a perfect storm of Coding Horror.